Thursday, March 15, 2012

I was a little girl


By Digger - Her blog is Digging Deeper. You can read about her here. You can see all posts by Digger here.   

I was born in the 80's, mid 80's to be exact. I was raised in a very small mountain-town in northern Utah and I am an only child. Starting when I was VERY young I was always fascinated with art and building and designs of every style. I use to "read"  the local newspaper just so I could look at the ads, and I'd beg my mom to tell me stories she'd been told when she was little vs stories found in the hundreds of books that littered my bedroom floor. Anybody could read those, I could read those, to me, they weren't art. They were public domain and therefore, weren't that interesting. I remember sitting for HOURS listening to my grandpa tell stories, watching my mom sew, or my dad carve. 
It was all so incredible to me.

When you're a kid, everything seems so simple: your desires, hopes, dreams, everything. Yet it's surprising how true to you those things are. My grandpa, in all his wisdom, use to tell me "Pay attention to your childhood, whatever you're doing right now at 6, 7, or 8 years old is what you'll want to do when you're an adult." And I, in my I-know-everything adolescence thought, "Well that's not right. No kid is cutting people open, cause they want to be a doctor when they grow up." But, guess what, Grandpa was indeed right. When I was 8 years old, life was so simple, dreams were easy to make, and I had all the time in the world to explore who I was. As an adult, I'm afraid we hold back. We're too worried about what others will think or even worse, what they'll say.

This all came rushing back to me tonight, as I sit here looking at old pictures. When I was 8 years old I loved creating things. I use to walk around with my dad's camera and waste five or six rolls trying to get the perfect picture of a flower bud. I'd make cities in my sandbox, complete with irrigation systems and aqueducts, then let the water run through them and play with my army men like they were the villagers (I hated barbies as a kid, I know, I'm weird). I'd go through packs of sidewalk chalk like they were M&M's. When my cousins would visit, we'd make up plays complete with scripts and choreographed dance routines. Then we'd force the entire family to come watch us preform. I built forts, club houses, obstacle courses, lemonade stands, pine wood derby cars, and recreated theme park rides in my back yard (Ever see Split Infinity? I use to LOVE that show!!)

Now, twenty years later, I'm back doing all of those things. Sometimes for the boys, and sometimes, just for me. :) 

What were you doing when you were 6-10? What did you want to be? Do you still want to do those things? Still want to be those things?

Repost From My Blog.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! Honestly between the age of 6-10 I couldn't tell you what I wanted to be. I never really thought about it. But as I got older and got sucked into the land of books and writing - I knew I wanted to be a writer. :))

    ReplyDelete