Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A small moment

Sarah is a Christian wife and mom of two girls.  I love life and am learning how to give thanks in all things.  I enjoy blogging as a way to share with others the blessings and joys in life that are out there if we just look around! You can find her blog here and shop here. Read more posts from Sarah here.

This past Sunday, we went for a little outing after church.  We decided to go to the waterfront and walk out on this pier where there were all kinds of people sitting watching the water or even fishing.  As we were walking along, my older daughter found a ladybug.  She picked it up and held it.  She let it crawl along her arm.  She would gather it in her hands and stare at it, marveling in the beauty that she saw in it.


My daughter walked with us along this pier, all while holding on to and admiring this little ladybug.  She was absolutely fascinated by it.  She laughed and giggled as she felt it crawling up her arm.  She would let it hang from her fingers and then let it loose to craw back up her arm again.


Now, I'm not one for having little bugs crawl all over me, but I couldn't help but look at her in awe myself.  There was my daughter with this little creature - just taking it all in, completely captivated by one of God's tiny little creatures, and simply enjoying the moment.


 It left me wondering - when was the last time that I truly reveled in something so simple and so small?  When was the last time I truly delighted in something like this?  When was I last taken captive by something so seemingly insignificant, but through which I found so much joy and happiness?


I then thought, if I'm having trouble coming up with an answer to any of those questions, then maybe it's time to slow the pace down just a little.  Maybe it's time to take more notice of the little everyday things which surround me.  Maybe it's time to free myself from the "grown up" burdens, even if just for a moment, so I too can revel in some of the small and wonderful things that are part of God's creation.


No comments:

Post a Comment