Sunday, April 22, 2012

Late Night Ponderings

Drawn towards a creative life at a very young age and being an only child, I was always found drawing, imagining, or creating in one form or another. Now I am the desigNERD behind Dig Deep Design Studio. I'm all about designing, writing, photographing and living a fruitful, fulfilled life. No other ambition than to find balance in myself and live an artful existence. You can find Diggers blog here & her shop here. Want to read more from Digger? You can do that here. 

I couldn't sleep last night. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's almost impossible for me to turn my mind off. I just lay there, eyes open staring at the ceiling and thinking...

I am overflowing with dreams and hopes for my children. Things I want them to learn. Things I want them to feel. Things I want them to experience and remember.

But how do I do it? How do I slice all of life's little lessons down small enough that I can put them on a plate, serve them to my two small children, and make them believe that what I'm giving them has real value and they should hold onto it. That it's a foundation they should use for the rest of their lives.



I have to get these hopes, these dreams, out. I need to live them, make them real. If the only thing I'm offering them in their childhood is cartoons and fantasy, they're going to shrivel up.

Suddenly you blink and they're 5 years old, full of opinions, craving McDonald's for every meal and transfixed on Mario like it's some kind of new kid religion. THEN, when you've determined that it's enough and you suggest they go outside for some fresh air, you're the jerk.

I watch this happen to my kid's friends, and I'm terrified that it's happening to my children. I refuse to let it go on. It has become imperative to me to teach them that there is more in life, that they can have more, but at the same time making sure that I'm never feeding them false hopes and unfulfilled promises.

If I want them to believe that anything is possible, then I must lead by example. My children are young still. They have a chance to live a truly unique life, just like all children do. It is my belief, and my reason for getting out of bed every morning, that they do just that.

It won't be enough to simply say, "The sky's the limit". I must teach them how to build the rocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment