Saturday, April 28, 2012

It's The Simple Things: Cooling Off.

Drawn towards a creative life at a very young age and being an only child, I was always found drawing, imagining, or creating in one form or another. Now I am the desigNERD behind Dig Deep Design Studio. I'm all about designing, writing, photographing and living a fruitful, fulfilled life. No other ambition than to find balance in myself and live an artful existence. You can find Diggers blog here & her shop here. Want to read more from Digger? You can do that here. 


As a little girl, every summer my mom would take me up to the County Court House, and we would stand in a long line while we waited for our assigned irrigation time slot. I LOVED that day. To me, that's when summer began. And it was always so disheartening when we got the crummy midnight time slots. But, when we were lucky enough to get the mid-day and early afternoon ones. THAT was a good summer.





I loved everything about it. I loved walking around the streets turning the water down the appropriate ditches. I loved unclogging blocked water ways with my shovel. I loved trespassing in our neighbors yards so we could turn their water gates in our direction. But the best part was racing back home and trying to beat the water so you could watch it come down the ditch at the back of the yard.We never had a swimming pool and we lived too "in town" to have watering holes, but once a week, irrigation water would pool in the back yard and we could run through it and splash our hearts out. Of course we were responsible for making sure the water made it to the front yard so it would water the grass, but I loved feeling the cool water pool around my ankles while I worked. I loved getting so hot that you'd just turn around and flop into the stream you were creating. 


It was something so simple, so utterly day-to-day, that I completely forgot about how great it was and how incredible it felt. So this weekend, Bruiser asked me what I use to do when it was hot out. And you know, that was the first thing that popped into my head. 

So in honor of my childhood irrigating days, we loaded the boys up in the car and headed for the coolest, non-cemented in puddle of water I knew: the lake.






Not too bad for not being able to plug it in huh? They loved it and are already asking when we can go back. Not soon enough, boys. Not soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment